Wednesday, August 14, 2013

We Teach Each Other

Have you ever read Peter Reynold's book, The Dot before? It is a fantastic story that I read many times with my former Bella Mente Kiddos and I recommended it to Heather for little K and the future farm preschool kiddos in Hawaii. I have always enjoyed reading this story with kids for its beautiful message but it wasn't until I read this story with my campers this summer that I fell in love with it. The library where our camp was housed had a pretty spotty picture book collection, being that it serves a K-8 program, so The Dot stood out as an obvious selection to read with my kiddos. Having stumbled across countless ideas and examples of art projects this story provoked, I decided to see how it would inspire this group of little ones. I was blown away by the volume and quality of work that resulted and I have been dying to share how it went for weeks.

All I said after reading this story was "I wonder what kind of art we could create in our class using just dots? Do you guys want to try it out?" The kids seemed to enjoy the story, many of them had read it before in school or at home with their parents, so I was hopeful that I could provoke their interest in testing out their skills. I had anticipated a lot of really big water color circles in a variety of colors like the ones in the story and like the images I've seen on Pinterest. Many students did do this, big circles, a bunch of polka dots in various colors, and then the dots kept getting smaller and began to take shape as larger, less abstract pictures. One boy decided that the dots reminded him of planets and stars so he made a solar system dot picture. Then another said the dot looked like the earth and made a big dot of blue and green. Then somehow the dots kept getting smaller and a handful of us, myself included were suddenly working on elaborate pointillism style dot pictures of trees.

The dot picture I started alongside my campers, inspired by theirs
I am not an artist by nature, most of my art work comes from my classrooms, but I have always enjoyed art. Painting and drawing have always come second to collage, photography and calligraphy for me because my perfectionist nature leaves me too frustrated most of the time with my own lack of skill. When I sat down to show the kids how to make art, one dot at a time, I was doing so for the first time and I had no idea how it would turn out. Well, it turned out to be the perfect form of drawing for me. One dot at a time allowed me to take my time and plan out my picture in smaller segments and adjust as I go so that I have more control over the final product. I started my dot picture with just a few brown dots representing the trunk of a tree and after many, many more dots I ended up with a big fluffy tree in a starry night sky. To my surprise, I seemed to be enjoying this art project as much as (and often, it seemed, even more than) my campers. The fact that I discovered this kind of art right along with them made it all the more exciting and enjoyable for all of us. The room was buzzing with inspiration and enthusiasm, the kind I as a teacher always hope for.

One of my campers got so into our dot projects that he spent the remainder of camp glued to the art table whenever we were in our classroom making more and more elaborate and detailed pictures. He didn't come back the next few weeks and without his lead, enthusiasm waned, even though we read the story again. I continued to work on my dot tree picture that I never ended up finishing that first week, making sure to park myself next to each week's new children and when the asked I got to explain to them about the project started in the first week. No one got quite so into the project, though plenty of new dot pictures emerged over the following few weeks. C-man, my dot picture partner in crime came back and immediately asked me if I ever finished. I hadn't yet but eagerly showed him the progress I had made. He excitedly asked if he could help fill in the final black dots of the night sky and so after adding his name to the trunk of the tree in bright orange dots, I handed it over to him. He finished it that afternoon and I sent our collaborative home with him to get framed in remembrance of the project of which he was such an integral piece.
The little artist's work in progress.
I already can't wait to read this book again with another group and see where else it takes us. It always amazes me what I can learn about myself and the world from the kids I get to share my time and learn with. This is why I teach. Children are amazing little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment