Monday, January 6, 2014

Stone Soup

I have been teaching with this story for years, starting way back when I was first working as a summer camp and after-school counselor in high school and college. In fact, I can't even remember which group first introduced the story of Stone Soup to me, but whomever it was, I am grateful for the introduction. If you've never read this story, go pick it up and read it the next chance you get. It is a beautiful story about coming together as a community, opening your heart and working together for the common good. There are many versions of this classic tale, but I am partial to author and illustrator, Jon J. Muth's version, mostly because I think his gentle watercolor style so perfectly brings to life the feelings in the story. I personally just love all of his work, but Marcia Brown's version is also really great. Just before Christmas, I had the chance to share this story with my class and although they are just a bit young for it, I couldn't resist and at least a few of them really got into it and that's good enough for me. I asked the group at the end what they liked best and while some loved the illustrations, just as I do, many of them pointed out different veggies and ingredients featured in the soup as their favorite part. Since I am always looking for a chance to incorporate food into my curricula, I was naturally thrilled.

Whenever I share one of my favorite books with a class, I always pay attention to the bits and pieces they connect with the most and do whatever I can to bring those pieces to life, weaving them throughout the rest of the curriculum. With this story, I have often had each of the kids pick an ingredient to bring in and we've made stone soup together in a crock-pot as a class and enjoyed it for our lunch, which is always a huge hit. Cooking projects are one of my favorite ways to bring a story to life because they are so multi-sensory and therefore leave a much larger imprint on one's memory. With a story like this one, highlighting the strong messages of community and open-mindedness, I definitely want the memory to stick. I also love to cook with kids because they are usually fascinated by the process and eager to participate. Because I feel so gypped from not learning more (or much of anything) about food in school when I was young, I want to cultivate this interest as much as possible in my students. It baffles me that growing and preparing food, something so crucial to human culture and survival gets so neglected in most schools, but I suppose I'll save my feelings on the subject for another time because I could go on and on and I don't want to get off track from Stone Soup... If you are interested, however, check out my Kids in the Kitchen pinboard for more inspiration in food education.

Felt carrot, asparagus, and purple sweet potato I made for little K back in HI
Anyway, since my kiddos happened to be drawn to the ingredients involved in making stone soup, I thought, perhaps I will use this as an opportunity to finally develop a set of felt food for our play kitchen. Since not all of the kids were interested in this story, that tells me that instead of sharing it with the group as our circle-time read, I will next time offer to read it in the book nook with those who are interested, as a choice during our open work time. Most of the kids will wander over and listen at least for a little while each time I read it, while others will savor it again and again. Whatever their preference, all of them will inevitably be exposed to the ideas in the story as they work their way through the rest of the curriculum. By stocking our play kitchen with felt versions of the ingredients in the story, the kids will have the chance to incorporate Stone Soup into their play, and this has so many benefits from literacy development, to deepening their knowledge of food and the process of creating meals, to bringing the important message of community to the center stage, not to mention the exposure to different cultural groups in the mountains of the Himalayas. I think I'll take it one step further and capitalize on my class's budding interest in using scissors and invite them to practice cutting out pictures of food in magazines to glue down to a paper plate, making their own "stone soup" that they can take home. I swear, a few good stories can be a teachers best friend and savior, I don't know what I'd do without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment